Tuesday, August 11, 2009

BWOF 8-06-133 & a fake

Ok, just to prove I really HAVE been sewing a bit here and there the past couple of weeks...here are two skirts I finished recently. This one is from the 8/06 issue of BWOF and is #133. Here's the line drawing. (I really like the top too!)



It's a really pretty gore skirt, and I made it in a burgandy & cream "tweed" -ish fabric, lined in a poly charmeuse in gold. I used a lapped zipper because I didn't have an invisible zip on hand and wanted to finish it! I love it, but it will be put in the late fall/winter section of the closet for another couple of months I'm afraid. It's hot!

It did fit really well when I made it three weeks ago! But the first two weeks of school, we all have the bad habit of eating out for lunch every day. Something I just can't do without immediately noticing a change in my waistline (even though I worked my fanny off most days in the classroom moving, arranging furniture, etc.) So now my skirt is the tiniest bit tight through the middle (versus perfect, leaning towards a tiny bit loose when I made it). Grrr. It will go away once I'm back at school for "real".

Tweedy fabric:


Gold lining:

(these shoes are painful, but gorgeous!)

Next I made a skirt I've wanted to do for a long time now. This skirt is based off of the BWOF 5/07 #105 "sailor skirt":

I really liked the sailor effect of the button on portion, and the wide ruffle at the hem. I changed it up a little since I probably won't be tucking in a top with this skirt (or any other for that matter) and I didn't need the button on flap to be functional. Here's my variation (in wrinkly white linen):


Sorry I didn't press it before taking the picture! I was in a hurry because I was losing light and my camera batteries are still pretty much D.E.D. I still think you can tell its a cute skirt! I LOVE the ruffle. It's awesome and flippy.

I used my Sew What Skirts a-line pattern for the front, and cut a center front panel plus seam allowances, then cut two side panels to create the front with the topstitched seams. The topstitching is navy double row. The buttons are non-functioning! I just stitched them on after checking placement in the mirror (after sewing the center & side panels together for the front).

There are darts in front also, to improve fit. Topstitching and super cute navy buttons:


I interlined this 100% white linen with cotton voile rather than lining. The skirt portion itself is pretty short, before you attach the ruffle. The ruffle isn't lined.

Instead of a waistband, I used a facing, since I don't plan to tuck in. I used my skirt pattern piece to draw a facing pattern for front & back. I should mention that used my Sew What Skirts gathered skirt pattern for the back of the skirt, and added an elastic waist rather than a zip. I actually used a "facing" to make the casing too, rather than turning under and stitching. This allowed me to sew the front & back facings together at sides before attaching, for a clean finish at the side seams & top of the skirt.

Then I stitched the back facing in place, to form a casing for my 1" elastic. After I pulled the elastic through the "casing" row in the back, I stitched in the ditch through the side seams to catch the elastic on both sides. Then I tacked the facing in on the side seams, and on the front, tacking the facing to the interlining.

The fake sailor buttoned placket is cute, but my top (when not tucked in) covers up the top button. Shoot. I don't like things in 2's. I wanted the 3's!! Ah well, I'll still be wearing this, hopefully with a navy & white striped Weekender Cabana Tee that I've had lying here cut out for a few days now! (AND my hot red shoes!)

(These shoes are gorgeous and completely comfy!)

Sorry to report that I haven't found my energy stores so there isn't much sewing and blogging or blog-reading going on right now. Back to school is a killer!

18 comments:

  1. Very cute! LOVE those red shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great new skirts, they look fantastic. I am with you on finding energy to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute new skirts to start school with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those red shoes!! Actually love both pairs and I love gored skirts like that. Find your energy, dammit, I love seeing what you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sailor skirt is so cute. The shoes are TDF, but I sure couldn't stand in the classroom in them. We had to let so many teachers got this year because of budget cuts that I didn't get a job this year. I'm back to being a lowly sub. I actually miss the first weeks of school moving desks and setting up bulletin boards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your skirts! That tweedy fabric is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new skirts! The shoes are TDF as well.

    I still have three weeks until I'm back to school. And I plan on savouring (and sewing) every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the sailor skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the red shoes and sailor skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such cute skirts! They are very flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the skirts, really love the shoes! Where did you get those red ones, I *need* them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are very cute, flirty skirts! Love the shoes also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute skirts!!! I love the shoes, of course!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both skirts look great. Actually, I think the sailor style looks really good with he top tucked in! Great shoes. Hope you never have the problems with your feet that I've had so you can always wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great skirts! How about moving the top two buttons to the bottom so you have your threes? I'm not thinking about school yet, well, not until tomorrow. That's when my official countdown begins.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the shoes - hoping to go back to work soon. Can you add another row of buttons at the bottom, so you still have the look of 3s. g

    ReplyDelete
  17. I somehow missed this post so am late to the party. LOVE both skirts! I am so jealous of that sailor skirt pattern. It's different and completely flattering. Wow. I might have to hunt down that issue now. Great shoes as well. I'm with Dawn, find your mojo pronto!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &