Saturday, February 27, 2010

HP once, twice, three times a tee

That's a mouthful, huh? This isn't going to be a long post...I'm off to pick up some Tex-Mex for dinner! But I whipped up this interesting little tee this afternoon and wanted to share! I dedicate this one to Dawn, who's waited a long, long time for it. heh.


It's the HotPatterns Once, Twice, Three Times a Tee.

Super, super easy to put together. It's basically rectangles of fabric. I'm not a fan of "slot" necklines like this and indeed I don't care for the way it flops around, or for the way the facing doesn't want to stay put. (I'm ok with the fact that I need a tank underneath. I wear a cami or tank every day anyway! I'm just old fashioned that way.)

In fact, I might be drafting a keyhole alternative neckline tonight & fixing it up. I have plenty of this muted pink & khaki tie-dye to do it. Then I think I'll be in love with the whole top. I already love the funky sleeves and the fit.

Speaking of fit, I cut a 14 in the neckline (and could have used a 12 in front I think, which might have helped my slot neckline a bit). I swung out to a 16 at the armhole, then bumped out at the bust to an 18 for a "cheater" FBA. Then I followed the 18 down to the hem, but I did cut in just a bit of shaping at the waist. Otherwise you're looking at one long rectangle for the front and back.

The front/back as drafted is LONG. I cut off 3 inches at least. I'm probably not going to hem it, I like where it's hitting me right now. I likewise didn't hem the sleeve frill. I love knits! I typically have to shorten tees because I'm pretty short-waisted. I'm 5'5 and most of that is legs!

In good mail news, I received these awesome zippers from an Etsy seller. If you're interested, I'll dig up the name! **UPDATE for that heifer beangirl: The seller is "ButtonsandSuch". There now you have zips. I can't do anything about your short legs. Muwahahaha. They ship from Asia so it takes a couple of weeks, but how darn cute are they?


Here's a closer view:


Obviously they're for exposed zipper projects, but I can't wait to use them on some cute summer skirts!

I hope you're having a fabulous weekend!

15 comments:

  1. Wouldn't a zipper be cute on a summer quilted bag? I wondered about the top before, looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm 5'5 and most of that is legs!"

    I hate you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yes, hateful person, it would be very sweet of you to dig up the supplier on those kick-ass awesome zippers.

    Pretty please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo! I love this tee! A keyhole would be adorable, or what about just scooping the neckline in front? Those sleeves are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those flouncy, butterfly sleeves. Your t is cute, and looks like a good fit. I heart those zips and definltey want some! I would probably use them as zippered pockets and maybe a zipped front neckline. I must have them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep that is a very cute top, love the girly sleeves and the fabric.

    Those zippers are awesome, I've never seen any like this before. They would also be so cute on a little girls dress/skirt/jacket.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy freaking cute zippers!!! Your top is adorable, too, of course, but I was distracted by LACE zippers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tee is really cute. I wouldn't like that neck line on me either, but it looks good on you. Those zippers are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice top. Love the fabric. Love those zippers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice top and great zippers, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my those are beautiful zippers! And I can't wait to see yoour revised version of the top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome top! I'm sooo with you on hating the slot neckline though! Ugh. Those zippers are totally frickin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:10 AM

    I LOVE those zippers!! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! I love those zippers. And thanks for the (BELATED!!!!) review of the tops. It is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How would you approach sewing the lace zipper so all of its loveliness is on display?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &