Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Amy Butler Sun Surf Halter

Taking my cue from Patty, and this oppressive heat we're having, I whipped out a super lightweight drawstring tank this morning.  (I cut it out yesterday.  Why are these "simple/easy" projects so hard to get motivated to start sewing when the actual sewing takes so little time?)


I used my leftover spotty voile from this project for the top and a cream/red dot cotton for the ties.

The Sun Surf Halter is technically full lined, but I skipped that part (did I mention the oppressive heat?  How about the humidity?)  The original pattern also ties at the back neck (I hate those) and has a simple rectangle back with elastic casing (not good for bra-wearing girls).  I skipped that whole mess and just used 2 front pattern pieces instead (one for front, one for back).

Since I didn't have a lining, I bound the armhole edges with some bias.



The tie is one long strip, ran through the casing front then across the "shoulder" area, through the casing back, and tied at the other side:


The bow is pretty saucy, if I do say so myself.  I'm going to enjoy having it peek out of my cropped shrug (which I'll probably wear this with most of the time).


This was such a quickie project that I can foresee making a few more from the lawns I showed you a few days ago.  Anything light and airy at this point in the summer is much welcome clothing!

12 comments:

  1. Cute! I love the bow on the side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! It looks just perfect for heat and humidity too. I don't blame you for wanting several!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I love the bow. It's so fun and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and summery!I must make one for myself. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPER cute. soooper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really, really like it. But where is the shot of the shirt in action?

    I have 1-1/2 yards of super cute vintage-y strawberries on vines on a yellow gingham background that I think this pattern is calling for. With a red tiny polka dot tie of course. :) Thanks for inspiring me yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute, but still a little bit sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love to get my hands on some spotted voile next summer! Cute top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute. I'm thinking it would make a great dress as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a perfectly pretty way to beat the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:29 PM

    How do you select your fabric for projects and where do you get your fabrics? I'm love just west of Bentonville. I go to HL and Joann's but I get so overwhelmed and can't ever decide!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable Angie! I love the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &