Tuesday, February 11, 2014

To Shirley



There wasn't a single day of my childhood that I didn't want to be Shirley Temple. (Except maybe the days I wanted to be Judy Garland.)

Growing up during that quaint time period (BC: Before Cable), I had PBS to entertain me after school and on the occasional weekend night. My local PBS station ran a classic movie every Saturday night, and I lived for the weeks the feature was a Shirley Temple film.

For my 5th Christmas, Santa brought me a Shirley Temple doll, and I have her to this day (sans panties and shoes, but still in her original white with red polka dot dress). She was a beloved playmate, always my favorite, never eclipsed.

The first set of movies I ever bought my daughter, once I was a grown up, was not about Disney princesses or fantasy animals come to life; it was a box set of Shirley Temple movies. My Lu loves Shirley too.

Rest in peace, Shirley. You will be missed. 

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing life she led....and I wanted to be Shirely, too...

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &